- A producer is a leader or a boss?
A producer is a leader in the sense that he/she should turn problems into new opportunities, or make people think like that. If a producer works as a boss, he probably managed something badly or hasn’t got everything under control.
- What qualities or attributes do you look for in people you are looking to employ or work with?
Fantasy and concreteness, the ability to match dreams with reality. Grit and humility too, as they need to know perfectly what they want but also be able to listen to others. Also, I love smiling people.
- What do you look for in a script?
It has to make me think about it for at least 3 days. For sure, it has to be very clear and easy to imagine.
- How do you select a director?
I think that’s a question of feelings. I trust and follow my instinct while talking to the director about a project.
- Would you recommend writers think like a producer when writing their script? Or, just write with reckless abandon and then worry about the cost, or whatever, after they’ve grabbed a producer’s attention.
That depends on the aim of the project. In general, I think they should do their job as better as they can without worrying about costs; if a script is strong they will find a way to produce it.
- How involved in the writing of a project do you get? Are you more involved in the initial development?
I always would like to be more involved, especially at the very beginning .
- How much influence as a producer do you have with the choices made by the director and/or DP?
I always try to satisfy their desires when possible. Then when it gets harder they better understand my point of view.
- What is the most important thing you have learned during your career?
I’ve learned that every detail and every single person can make the difference. That’s the best and the most difficult thing of our job.
- If you had an unlimited budget at your disposal, what would be your dream production project?
I would make an historical TV Series about Italy, developing a specific subject across different decades.
- What does the future of film look like?
Technology will play a crucial role in it. We will need to be ready; if used in the right way it will allow us to make great things.